The Green Door Shop
In addition to 501(c)(3) status and a mission consistent with that of St. Luke’s Church and The Episcopal Church, grants will be evaluated based on programs or projects that:
- are well-defined, specific, and measurable
- address a significant need or improve the quality of life
- benefit either a large population or a small population in a major way
- are transformative
- increase the capacity of those served to help themselves
For grant inquiries and/or applications, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Green Door grant applications will be sent out on or about August 1, 2022, with a deadline of September 4, 2022.
The Green Door began on April 13, 1953. The Women’s Auxiliary of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church opened a thrift shop at 1813 Nacogdoches Rd. in a rented space with 10 volunteers. Most of the items were donated, and sales on the very first day were $500! Profits the first year were $3,000 and rose to $5,000 the next year. $500 is a decent day’s sales even by 2012 standards. $500 in 1953 would be worth $4,028.67 in 2010 dollars. That would be a very busy day at the Green Door! This initial money was used to construct a building for the Green Door. The present building was completed in 1958 at 1030 Nacogdoches Rd., and was expanded in 1965 to its current size.