St. Luke’s has a wonderfully varied and active choral program. The music sung is representative of the Anglican Choral Tradition where the best is taken from all periods, cultures and languages.
St. Luke’s Church Choir
- The Parish Choir, made up of adults with four section leaders and four choral scholars, is directed by Russell Jackson and accompanied by David Heller. During the year, the Parish Choir sings at the 11:00 a.m. service on Sunday mornings. The Choir rehearses every Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. To hear music from the St. Luke’s Parish Choir, click here for the online music library.
Choral Evensong is a combination of two monastic offices, Vespers and Compline, taken from the Magnificat (Song of Mary) and the Nunc Dimittis (Song of Simeon). The importance of these canticles reflects the revelation to a young woman that she will bear Christ, while the old Simeon glorifies God as Christ is presented in the Temple. These settings, along with Choral Responses, Psalms, and Anthem reflect the season and are some of the most glorious moments in the Anglican Choral Tradition. You are invited to take part in the beauty of holiness offered here at St. Luke’s and visit the St. Luke’s calendar for the upcoming Evensong dates.
- Mar 12, 2017Ave Verum (Elgar)
- Feb 19, 2017Teach Me, O Lord (Attwood)
- Dec 18, 2016Christ Hath a Garden (Near)
- Dec 11, 2016Ave Maria (de Victoria)
- Dec 4, 2016Cum audisset Johannes (Muelas)
- Nov 27, 2016Ave Maria (de Victoria)
- Nov 13, 2016Steal Away (Jackson)
- Oct 20, 2016O Clap Your Hands (Vaughn Williams)
- Oct 4, 2016Music – O Lord Increase My Faith (Gibbons)
- Jun 12, 2016Music – Precious Lord (Dorsey)
A list of choral repertoire, organ music, evensongs, concerts/special events is released at the end of summer and gives details for the upcoming year. Hard copies are available in the Narthex or Church Office. Click Here to download a copy.
The St. Luke’s organ is currently being rebuilt by Odell Organs of Connecticut and will return during the Spring of 2017.